Blondes really do have more fun – well, at least as far as my white chocolate torte with sticky orange sauce goes. This indulgent take on a traditional cake puts dark chocolate tortes to shame.
- 180g white chocolate, chopped
- 200g unsalted butter, chopped
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3 cups (300g) almond meal
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbs finely chopped glace oranges (substitute marmalade)
- 2 tbs amaretto
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- Toasted flaked almonds, to serve
STICKY AMARETTO AND ORANGE SAUCE
- 1/2 cup (125ml) amaretto
- Pared zest and juice of 2 oranges (you will need 150ml juice)
- 100g glucose syrup (from health food shops and supermarkets)
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Grease a 25cm springform cake pan and line with baking paper.
- Place the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of gently simmering water (don’t let the bowl touch the water) and stir occasionally until melted.Transfer to a large bowl and stir in egg yolks, 1 at a time, until combined. Add almond meal, vanilla, glace orange and amaretto, and stir until smooth. Set aside until required.
- Place eggwhites and 1/2 tsp salt flakes in a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and whisk to soft peaks. Add cream of tartar and sugar, 1 tbs at a time, whisking constantly. Once all sugar has been combined, whisk on high for 5 minutes or until sugar is dissolved and mixture is thick and glossy.
- In 2 batches, gently fold eggwhite mixture into chocolate mixture to form a smooth batter. Transfer to prepared pan and bake for 1 hour 10 minutes (cover with foil if the top becomes too brown) or until firm to the touch and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out with a few crumbs attached. Remove from oven and cool in pan.
- Meanwhile, for the sauce, place amaretto, orange zest and juice, glucose syrup and 1/4 tsp salt flakes in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir to combine, then cook, without stirring, for 10 minutes or until mixture is reduced by half and golden and sticky. Set aside to cool.
- Turn out torte and transfer to a serving plate. Drizzle with sauce and scatter with toasted almonds to serve.