- Pear and Berry Filling 1/4 c.
- granulated sugar 1/4 c.
- firmly packed dark brown sugar 1/4 tsp.
- freshly grated nutmeg 2 1/2 lb.
- Bartlett pears (about 5 large) 1 lb.
- Granny Smith apples (about 2 large) 6 oz.
- cranberries, blackberries, or raspberries 1 tbsp.
- fresh lemon juice 3 tbsp.
- Crumb Topping 1/4 c.
- firmly packed dark brown sugar 1/4 c.
- granulated sugar 1/2 tsp.
- ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground cloves
- Pinch kosher salt 1 c.
- all-purpose flour 1/2 c.
- (1 stick) cold unsalted butter 1 c.
- old-fashioned rolled oats 1/2 c.
- roasted almonds, roughly chopped (optional)
Pear and Berry Filling
- In large bowl, combine sugars and nutmeg. Peel, core, and slice pears and apples 1/4 inch thick, adding them to sugar as you go and tossing to coat. Toss with lemon juice and let sit, tossing occasionally, at least 1 hour and up to 2 hours before filling. Just before filling, sprinkle with cornstarch and toss to combine. Pile into prepared bottom crust and pour juices over top. Top as desired.
- In food processor, combine sugars, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Add flour and pulse to incorporate. Add butter and pulse just until large clumps form. Transfer to bowl and gently toss with oats and almonds if using; refrigerate until ready to use.