- 2 tbs olive oil
- 20g butter
- 8 chicken thigh cutlets, skin on
- 12 French shallots, peeled
- 40 garlic cloves, skin on
- 1 bunch thyme
- 1/2 cup white wine or vermouth
- toasted sliced baguette, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180°c. Heat oil and butter in a large shallow ovenproof casserole dish over medium heat. Add chicken and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until golden. Transfer to a bowl.
2. Add shallots and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until browned and caramelised. Add half the garlic to dish. Arrange chicken on top of shallots and garlic. Add remaining garlic, some thyme (reserving some to garnish) and wine or vermouth. Season well with salt and pepper. Cover and bake for 11/2 hours or until chicken is cooked through and garlic is tender. Garnish with reserved thyme and serve with baguette.
Slow-cooked garlic is creamy and less pungent.