Cake and crumble come together to create something truly tasty.
- 180g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 1/3 cups (295g) caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup (180g) sour cream
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain flour, sifted
- 1 1/4 cups (185g) self-raising flour, sifted
- 1/3 cup (35g) hazelnut meal
- 5 figs, thickly sliced
- 1/2 cup (60g) chopped hazelnuts
- 2 2/3 cups (400g) plain flour
- 250g unsalted butter, chopped
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 firmly packed cup (250g) brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (75g) hazelnut meal
- 1 tbs instant coffee granules
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 22cm round springform cake pan and line with baking paper.
- For the crumble, place flour in a bowl. Using your fingers, rub in butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add baking powder, sugar and hazelnut meal, and stir to combine. Using your fingers, roughly clump mixture together, then chill until needed.
- To make the cake, place butter, vanilla and sugar in a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and whisk until thick and pale. Add eggs, 1 at a time, whisking well after each addition. Add sour cream and whisk until combined. Fold in the flours and hazelnut meal
- Spread half the batter into the prepared pan. Top with one-third crumble mixture and scatter with 3 figs. Top with remaining batter and smooth. Top with remaining crumble mixture. Bake for 2 hours 25 minutes, covering with foil halfway, or until a skewer inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, for the coffee syrup, combine coffee, sugar and 1 cup (250ml) water in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook, swirling the pan occasionally, for 10 minutes or until thickened slightly. Set aside to cool.
- Place hazelnuts and remaining 2 figs in a bowl and drizzle with one-third of the syrup. Top the cooled cake with hazelnut fig syrup and serve with remaining coffee syrup.