Minimal effort, maximum flavour. Just the way we like it.
- 300g shortbread biscuits
- 1/3 cup (35g) almond meal
- 200g almond kernels (we used Woolworths Macro)
- 180g unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (180g) pure icing sugar, sifted
- 300g crunchy almond spread (from health food shops and selected supermarkets)
- 500g dark (70%) chocolate, chopped
- 2 1/2 tsp sunflower oil
- Line a 20 x 30cm lamington pan with baking paper, leaving 3cm overhanging the long edges.
- To make the base, place shortbread, almond meal and 50g almond kernels in a food processor and whiz until finely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Place the butter, icing sugar and almond spread in a saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until combined and just below a simmer. Add to shortbread mixture and stir to combine. Spread shortbread mixture evenly into prepared pan, using a palette knife to smooth. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Place chocolate and oil in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water (don’t let the bowl touch the water) and stir until melted. Top base with remaining 150g almond kernels, then pour over chocolate and chill for 2 hours or until set. Cut into bars and serve.