- 500ml pot ready-made chilled custard (look for one with real vanilla)
- 100g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 400g shop-bought chocolate brownies
- 3 tbsp coffee
- 100ml Irish cream liqueur, plus 1 tbsp extra for soaking the brownies
- 121g bag Maltesers
- 500ml double cream
- 25g icing sugar
- Put the custard and chocolate in a saucepan. Gently heat, stirring, until the chocolate has completely melted into the custard. Cover the surface with cling film to stop the custard forming a skin, then cool.
- Sit the brownies in a trifle bowl and mix together the coffee with the 1 tbsp Irish cream liqueur. Drizzle all over the brownies. Use a rolling pin or saucepan to gently bash the bag of Maltesers a few times to crush a little, then sprinkle about three-quarters over the brownies. Spoon the cooled chocolate custard all over the top, then cover and chill.
- Make the final layer by combining the cream and 100ml Irish cream liqueur in a bowl. Sift over the icing sugar, then whip until soft peaks form. Cover and chill until you’re ready to serve.
- To serve, give the cream a quick mix, then spoon on top of the chocolate custard. Scatter over the last few crushed Maltesers to decorate.